Chicago White Sox

Chicago White Sox  

White Sox Timeline

1901

Chicago White Sox Team Formation

In 1900, the Western League changed its name to the American League. It was still officially a minor league, subject to the governing National Agreement and an underling of the National League. The NL actually gave permission to the AL to put a team in Chicago, provided he not use the city name in the team's branding. Comiskey moved his St. Paul club to the Near South Side and renamed it the White Stockings, grabbing a nickname that had once been used by the Chicago Cubs.
1904

White Stockings to White Sox

Headline editors at the Chicago Tribune sports department immediately began shortening the name to "White Sox", and the team officially adopted the shorter name in 1904. The name change to the White Sox was brought on after scorekeeper Christoph Hynes wrote White Sox at the top of a scorecard rather than White Stockings, this scorecard was then seen by the press.
1920

Black Sox Scandal

In September 1920, an investigation into a fixed Cubs game eventually turned in the direction of the 1919 Series. During the investigation, Cicotte and Jackson confessed. Comiskey, who himself had turned a blind eye to the rumors previously, was compelled to suspend the remaining seven players (Gandil, eventually perceived as the ringleader, the one "connected" to the gamblers, had retired after the 1919 season) before their last season series against the St. Louis Browns. The suspensions ground the team to a halt; they lost two out of three games to the Browns and finished second, two games behind the Cleveland Indians. However, the evidence of their involvement (signed confessions) disappeared from the Cook County courthouse, and lacking that tangible evidence, a criminal trial (whose scope was limited to the question of defrauding the public) ended in acquittals of all the players. Regardless, with the public's trust of the game of baseball at stake, newly installed Commissioner of Baseball Kenesaw Mountain Landis banned all the accused from baseball for life.
1959

Veeck Ownership

Due to Veeck's arrival in 1959, Comiskey Park instantly became a ballpark filled with a series of promotional stunts which helped draw record crowds, the most obvious being the exploding fireworks Veeck installed in the scoreboard to celebrate home runs and victories. And in 1960, they became the first team in the history of sports to wear last names on the back of their jerseys, a Veeck innovation. Unlike Charles Comiskey, Veeck was considered a player-friendly owner, and players enjoyed playing for him. In 1961, due to poor health, Veeck sold his share of the team to John and Arthur Allyn for $2.5 million.
1981

Jerry Reinsdorf Owner

In 1981 Jerry Reinsdorf was wealthy enough to purchase the White Sox for $19 million. The purchase was brokered by American National Bank who arranged for a limited partnership. He followed previous eccentric White Sox owners Charles Comiskey, who was known as a miser, and Veeck, who was known as a prankster who gutted the team by trading away promising prospects. Soon after buying the White Sox, he signed Greg Luzinski and Carlton Fisk. He also tripled the team promotional budget and increased the number of team scouts from 12 to 20. By the 1983 Major League Baseball season the White Sox made the playoffs with the best record in the Major Leagues.
1991

U.S. Cellular Field

U.S. Cellular Field (formerly Comiskey Park) is a baseball park in Chicago, Illinois. It is the home of the Chicago White Sox of Major League Baseball's American League. The park is owned by the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority, but operated by the White Sox. The park opened for the 1991 season, after the White Sox had spent 81 years at the original Comiskey Park. The new park, completed at a cost of US$167 million, also opened with the Comiskey Park name, but became U.S. Cellular Field in 2003 after U.S. Cellular bought the naming rights at $68 million over 20 years.

The stadium was the first new major sporting facility built in Chicago since Chicago Stadium in 1929. It was also the last one built before the wave of new "retro-classic" ballparks in the 1990s and 2000s. However, a few design features from the old park were retained. The front facade of the park features arched windows. Most notable is the "exploding scoreboard" which pays homage to the original installed by Bill Veeck at the old park in 1960. The original field dimensions and seating configuration were very similar to those of Royals Stadium (now Kauffman Stadium) in Kansas City which had been the last baseball-only park built in the majors, in 1973.
2005

World Series Winners - 3 World Series Wins

World Series - 2005
The 2005 World Series, the 101st edition of the Major League Baseball championship series, saw the American League champion Chicago White Sox sweep the National League champion Houston Astros four games to none in the best-of-seven-games series, winning their third World Series championship and their first in 88 years.

World Series - 1917
In the 1917 World Series, the Chicago White Sox beat the New York Giants four games to two. The Series was played against the backdrop of World War I, which dominated the American newspapers that year and next. The strong Chicago White Sox club had finished the 1917 season with a 100–54 record: their first and only one-hundred-win season in franchise history as of 2014. The Sox's next World Series winner in 2005 would finish the regular season with a 99–63 record.

World Series - 1906
The 1906 World Series featured a crosstown matchup between the Chicago Cubs, who had posted the highest regular-season win total (116) and winning percentage (.763) in the major leagues since the advent of the 154-game season; and the Chicago White Sox. The White Sox, known as the "Hitless Wonders" after finishing with the worst team batting average (.230) in the American League, beat the Cubs in six games for one of the greatest upsets in Series history. The teams split the first four games; then the Hitless Wonders exploded for 26 hits in the last two games. True to their nickname, the White Sox hit only .198 as a team in winning the series but it bettered the .196 average produced by the Cubs.

White Sox Primary Logo History White Sox Alternate Logo History No Wordmark Logo History

 

Team Information Team History

City:
Chicago

Nickname:
White Sox - They were initially called the "White Stockings", a nickname quickly shortened to White Sox by the press.

Stadium:
U.S. Cellular Field
1991 - present
  • Comiskey Park II
  • 1991 - 2003
Comiskey Park
1910 - 1990
  • White Sox Park
  • 1962 - 1975
County Stadium
1968 - 1969
  • White Sox Park
  • 1910 - 1912

South Side Park III
1903 - 1910

Owner:
Jerry Reinsdorf
1981 - Present
Aaron Cushman
1975 - 1981
Bill Veeck
1975 - 1981
John Allyn
1969 - 1975
Arthur Allyn, Jr. & John Allyn
1961 - 1969
Bill Veeck
1958 - 1961
Dorothy Comiskey Rigney & Chuck Comiskey
1956 - 1958
Grace Comiskey
1940 - 1956
J. Louis Comiskey
1931 - 1940
Charles Comiskey
1890 - 1931

Established: 1890

League History:
Major League Baseball
2000 - present
American League
1900 - 1999

Western League
1890 - 1900

Team History:
Chicago White Sox
1903 - present

Chicago White Stockings
1890 - 1902

World Series: 3
2005, 1917, 1906

Retired Numbers:
2 Nellie Fox
3 Harold Baines
4 Luke Appling
9 Minnie Miñoso
11 Luis Aparicio
14 Paul Konerko
16 Ted Lyons
19 Billy Pierce
35 Frank Thomas
42 Jackie Robinson
72 Carlton Fisk

Mascots: 2004 - present 1981 - 1988

The Official Site of the Chicago White Sox
Website
Roster
Schedule
News

*Red is this team's history

Add comment


Security code
Refresh